Fun Snacking with Braces
You have probably heard that when you have braces, you have to change some of your eating habits. There are two reasons for this: First, to avoid unnecessary pain, and second, to protect the brackets and wires from breakage.
In general, when you have braces, you want to avoid anything that is TOO hard, chewy, sticky, crunchy, or BIG! We know that this can be a difficult transition, just remember that it is only temporary! Before you know it, you will be back to eating your favorite foods!
In the meantime, enjoy these brace-friendly snack and lunch ideas:
- Sliced Wraps: Spread sour cream, hummus, or salad dressing on a tortilla. Fill with shredded cheese, ground beef or grated vegetables. Roll it up and slice into soft, easily chewed pieces!
- Grilled Cheese and Avocado Bites: Make a grilled cheese sandwich on seedless bread (with avocado spread on the bread), then slice into small bite-sized pieces or fun shapes for a healthy snack.
- Couscous Salad: Cook couscous according to package directions, then add cheese or shredded vegetables, cubed tofu and top off with your favorite salad dressing.
- Soft Fruit Kebabs: Cube semi-soft fruits (peaches, bananas, citrus) into ½” pieces, then stack/skewer them with toothpicks.
- Smoothies: Start with Yogurt, ice or frozen seedless fruit and blend with a banana and a squirt of honey for a healthy, yummy snack or breakfast!
- Potato Salad: Combine cooked cubed potatoes with hardboiled eggs, mayonnaise, mustard, onions and a dash of pickle juice and dill for a hearty snack. Leave out anything hard such as celery.
Eating with braces may feel like a challenge, but it can also be a lot of fun!